- Install a programmable thermostat, get a rebate from Laclede Gas and use automated settings for better comfort and energy savings.
- In winter, set heat to 68°F while you're awake and set it lower while you're asleep or away from home. By turning your thermostat back 10° to 15° for eight hours, you can save 5 to 15 percent a year on your heating bill.
- Seal and insulate the "envelope" of your home—its outer walls, ceilings, windows, doors and floors. You can finance the insulation purchase and pay for it on your monthly bill.
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters and radiators regularly. Do not block them with furniture, carpeting or curtains.
- Have your gas furnace inspected in the late summer or early fall to ensure proper performance and safety.
- Make sure to close your fireplace damper when not in use.
- Never use your oven, range or outdoor grill to heat your home. These appliances are not designed for home heating.
- On a gas range, use the smallest flame possible—flames should never exceed a pan's width.
- Water boils faster in covered pans. Add a lid to save time.
- Cook vegetables in small amounts of water. Avoid overcooking, which wastes energy.
- Preheat the oven only when necessary, such as baking cakes and quick breads.
- Keep the oven door closed. Each time you open the oven it loses about 20 percent of its heat.
Washing and Drying
- Always look for the ENERGY STAR® label when purchasing new appliances.
- Use cold water to pre-rinse dishes for the dishwasher and for washing clothes.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes and avoid overdrying.
- Clean your dryer's lint trap before each load to improve dryer efficiency.
- Dry towels separately from lighter-weight items
- Take short showers instead of baths to conserve water.
- Always keep the thermostat on your water heater no higher than the "normal" setting.
- Install the right-sized gas water heater for your home to avoid wasting energy by heating a larger tank than needed.
- Avoid running water unnecessarily while shaving or brushing teeth.
Want to save even more?
For more information on saving energy or learning about Laclede Gas energy efficiency rebates and financing programs, please call 314-621-6960 or 800-887-4173 or email EnergyEfficiency@TheLacledeGroup.com