Laclede Gas image

Main Navigation

Laclede Gas

Utility Navigation

Where am I?

News Releases

Media Line: if you're a member of the media and would like to speak with us regarding a news story, please call us at 314-342-3300.

Change Your Clock, Change Your Carbon Monoxide Batteries

Early detection is best defense against silent killer

October 30, 2014

ST. LOUIS (October 30, 2014) – When setting back the clock this weekend, take the extra time to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. While many detectors plug into the wall, most have a battery backup. When carbon monoxide builds in an enclosed space, the results can be life threatening. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas so it can be difficult to know when it is present.

“Laclede Gas responds to every call of carbon monoxide but this time of the year, we see these calls spike as customers turn on their furnaces. While properly working gas appliances are safe, your first line of defense against carbon monoxide is early detection including annual appliance inspections and working CO detectors,” said Tim Goodson, director of safety for Laclede Gas. “Change the batteries and test the detector now using the manufacturer’s instructions.”

Don’t have a CO detector? Now is the time to get one. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel. These fuel sources are often used in the winter including furnaces, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, vehicles or burning charcoal or wood.

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Persistent cough
  • Fatigue
  • Wheezing

If you have these symptoms, go outside to fresh air and call your local fire department immediately.

Easy Tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Inspect - Annual inspections of gas appliances ensure safe and reliable operation.
  • Install - Install a carbon monoxide detector and change the batteries twice a year.
  • Clean - Keep all appliances clean and remove boxes or furniture that could block air flow.
  • Free Flow - Do not cover the bottom of natural gas ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can produce carbon monoxide.
  • Start Outside - Do not run a car in an attached garage.
  • Proper Use - Never use an oven or range to heat your home.

For more safety tips visit, LacledeGas.com/safety.

Contact

Laclede Gas Media Line
314-342-3300

« Back to News | Back to the top

Go back to main content | Go back to main navigation

Footer Navigation

Footer Utility Navigation

Copyright © Laclede Gas Company      All rights reserved.

Go back to main content Go back to main navigation