Media Line: if you're a member of the media and would like to speak with us regarding a news story, please call us at 314-342-3300.
December 20, 2012
ST. LOUIS (December 20, 2012) –Tomorrow marks the first day of winter and snow is almost here. Keep your home warm and pockets full this season with a few simple steps. You can maintain a more efficient household with easy adjustments below:
• Position furniture in your home away from heating registers. A blocked register can decrease heat circulation.
• Place aluminum or aluminum foil between a cold wall and radiator to reflect heat back into the room.
• Open south-facing draperies on sunny days to allow sunlight to help heat your home. Close them at night to help keep out the cold.
• Close your fireplace damper or flue when the fireplace is not in use. Heat can escape up the chimney.
• Seal off unused rooms by closing the registers and keeping the doors shut tightly. Do not, however, seal off more than one-fifth of your total living space. This may cause your furnace to not operate properly.
• Keep the thermostat comfortably low. For every degree the heat is reduced, you will save approximately one percent in heating costs.
• Lower your thermostat when you leave for the day or over the weekend. A five degree drop can mean big savings. Stay above 55 degrees – pipes can freeze if it is too cold.
• Service your heating equipment to ensure that the flues are not blocked and the burners are working. Regular checkups will keep your furnace or boiler operating safely and efficiently.
• Maintain a clean furnace filter. Each month remember to inspect, clean and replace it as necessary to improve efficiency during the heating season.
• Add insulation to your attic for larger savings for both heating and cooling.
• Install storm doors and windows to help prevent heat loss.
• Save up to five percent on your energy bill by weather stripping and caulking doors and windows. If you can see daylight around a door or window frame, then the door or window needs sealing, this method will noticeably block out cold.
• Purchase a programmable thermostat to keep the temperature lower automatically while you are sleeping or gone for the day.
Small changes can provide big savings and more efficient heating this winter. For more ways to make your home more energy efficient, visit www.lacledegas.com/efficiency.
Laclede Gas Media Line
Copyright © 2014 Laclede Gas Company All rights reserved.